- Every property owner knows the important role the roof plays – it protects your family and possessions from external elements like rain, hail, and snow.
- A well-maintained roofing system can save you money on energy bills and give your home or commercial space an aesthetically pleasing look.
- Poor installation can do more harm than good – it’s essential to be aware of potential signs indicating a poorly installed metal roof.
- Some signs of a poorly installed metal roof include loose screws/nails/panels, missing flashings, loose seams, poor quality materials, or interior leaking.
- Red flags to avoid while searching for a professional roofer include: unlicensed contractors, those who make unreasonable promises, have no reviews or references, are uninsured, and use subpar materials.
Every property owner is aware of the critical role played by the roof. It acts as a protective covering, protecting both your family and possessions from external elements like rain, hail and snow. A well-maintained roofing system can save you money on energy bills and give your home or commercial space an aesthetically pleasing look.
Whether you’re installing a metal roof over your property or contemplating its installation, you must understand your metal roofing installation. A poor installation can do more harm than good.
That’s why we want to tell you about potential signs indicating a poorly installed metal roof—spotting them early on will help save later expensive headaches. Tiger Roofing LLC discusses what those red flags look like so you can ensure your precious installation goes smoothly the first time!
Poor Installation Signs to be Aware Off
Your property roof is costly, so you don’t want to spend more money than you need to. Poor installation can incur additional costs on top of an already expensive job. Here are some signs to look for that may indicate a poor metal roofing installation:
1. Loose Screws, Nails, or Panels
After completing your roofing project, you must inspect the job closely to know if the job’s done right. Metal roofing needs screws or nails to fasten itself to the roof’s surface. If they are not installed correctly with the right amount of torque, that could cause severe issues in the future. Moreover, check for any loose panels or pieces. When the metal expands and contracts due to weather conditions, it can lead to screws becoming loose, nails popping out, and even entire pieces falling off. If left avoided, you might look for repair and replacement jobs sooner than expected.
2. Missing Flashings
Flashing is a thin metal placed at joint areas like where walls meet the roof or around chimneys and vents on your roofing system. They stop water from entering your property from these weak points by re-directing it away from vulnerable entry points. A missing flashing indicates poor installation is essential to a successful roofing job.
3. Loose Seams
Metal roofing systems are made up of panels with overlapping seams, which should be sealed with adhesives, neoprene washers, and caulk. If this seam isn’t properly sealed, water can enter your property through the small gaps left by the lack of sealant. It is a major sign of poor installation as its one of the most critical tasks for a metal roofer.
4. Poor Quality Materials
Quality metal roofs can last for 40-70 years. If you hire an untrustworthy roofer, there’s always a chance they’ll use second-rate materials in their work. It commonly happens when cheaper substitutes are used instead of top-quality ones. If you start seeing rust or corrosion after a few months, it could indicate that the materials used were not up to scratch.
5. Interior Leaking
Sometimes you might find no issues on your roof’s exterior. But suppose your interior suffers from water damage or other signs of moisture. In that case, it’s a sure sign that the installation wasn’t done correctly. It could be due to several factors, such as faulty flashing, improper sealing, or inadequate ventilation.
Don’t delay if you spot any patches forming on your ceiling or inside of your attic. Contact an experienced roofer immediately!